Friday, October 12, 2007

The Next Stage


This crisp fall morning we once again converged on The Night Owl's Nest (Gully's studio, says me) to finish recording this album.

All that was left this morning was for me to sing vocal doubles on "Hosanna" and "All Things New", then we edited a few things and went out for a lunch, the somberness of which accented by the fact that we listened to Nanci Griffith's Other Voices, Other Rooms in transit. It's a sweet, sad record that perfectly fit the Tennessee fall and the ending of two months of good work.

When we got back to the studio, Ben started editing while I drove Gully to the airport for a few shows in Washington this weekend, then I picked up a copy of my first book: The Ballad of Matthew's Begats. I just finished flipping through it, marveling at Cory Godbey's talents, and at God's story. I got a little emotional reading it, though I've sung the song a thousand times.

What a gift it is to tell the old, old story. Listening to these resurrection letters, seeing the pictures in the book, traveling the country to sing these songs--these are reminders to me that our God is a good king, and that I am most unworthy to be in his kingdom. My sonship is a gift of the highest order, and it is a fine thing to live in light of it.

Next week begins the next stage in the process: editing and mixing. We'll write another post to try and make that sound exciting. Truth be told, the editing is tedious but the mixing (for me) is my favorite part. More on that later.

We'll do our best to edit together the videos we took this week and last and have them ready for you early next week.

Have a grand weekend. Oh, and be sure to check out the Rabbit Room, a new website I'm helping with. Loads of fun.

AP

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I will so be ordering this. More than one copy, that's for sure. My sister listens to this song all the time...definitely getting her the book for Christmas. And of course, I need one, too...

Tony Kevin said...

I love the artwork. I can't wait to get a copy.

And is Gully's shows in Washington state??? Or DC? And if Washington state, where can I find the locations?!? His website didn't have any Washington state or DC shows listed.

cynthia said...

So here it is...I just didn't read your post soon enough:-) shame on me!! I can't wait to read this, it looks awesome!!!

Shadowphone said...

The book link just goes to an empty page for me (IE and Firefox). Is there supposed to be no store yet?

Andrew Peterson said...

Peter,

I'm not sure what the problem is. Just go to my website at www.andrew-peterson.com and click "Books". Hope that works.

AP

jane said...

I'm excited about this book as well! The book link goes to a blank page for me too.

Is the message board no longer??