Friday, September 07, 2007

Things Got Irishy

You may remember Jeff Taylor from one of the YouTube videos a while back. He was the friend of Michael Card's who played the jig on the accordion. Well, he did us the huge favor of coming to the studio today and playing on a new song called "Have Your Way".

I'm a huge Kate Rusby fan. Rusby and her band are some of the finestd musicians you'll hear, and I liken her to a British Isles version of Alison Krauss--she plays mostly traditional (or very traditional sounding) songs, sings like an angel, and has a remarkable band. (In case you're interested, start with her record Little Lights. They're all good, but it's the first one I heard so I'm partial.)

Anyway, I bought her live DVD for Mr. Card, having been amazed by it myself, and Mike shared it with Jeff, accordion player extraordinaire. So when I sent Jeff the new song, all I had to do was ask him to give it the Kate Rusby treatment and he knew exactly what I meant. "Rusbification" is the word, and Jeff Taylor is the man to do it. He came over today and played accordion then Irish whistle and a little bouzouki, and his sensibilities and skill were more than adequate. I sat and watched while he and Ben worked out different melodies, and in most cases all Ben had to do was sing it and Jeff was right there with the melody, played tasty as carrot cake.

I took some video, but I haven't had time to put it together yet. In lieu I present an interview that just went up on YouTube today, courtesy of www.hearthevoice.com. I sat down with author Matthew Paul Turner and talked about my new book, my writing process, and this record. I prayed before the interview that I wouldn't say anything I'd later regret, and I only noticed two things, which is way fewer than usual. I don't interview well, and in this interview I look pudgier than normal, which is why I'm going jogging first thing in the morning.

Hope to see some of you in St. Charles, MO and Spring City, TN this weekend.

AP







----------------
Listening to: Shawn Colvin - You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
via FoxyTunes

7 comments:

Gaƫl Cosendai said...

Great interview, deep thoughts.
- about stories: it is sooo true! I'm amazed at how stories attract and teach so much more than a theological lecture, and with so much less words...I guess this is why the movie/novel industries have so much success...Jesus knew what he was doing with his parables!
- about needing approval: don't worry Andrew, you're definitely not the only one! I do need signs of approval all the time about my songs, too. And I know this feeling of both needing signs of approval and trying not to make your value depend on them because of the danger of both pride and low self-esteem.
So I really liked this tip about remembering your identity in Christ. It is good to remember that our value does not depend on what other people think but on what God thinks of us.
But hey, Andy, let me give you approval! Your ministry and the things you share do make a difference in my life and help me in my walk with Christ...Thanks for sharing your story, because it has this universal story in it which I can relate to. "That which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us." (1 John 1.3)

james3v1 said...

My family and I will be in St. Charles tonight and we're very much looking forward to it.

Jesse and Stephanie Sutton said...

We cannot wait to see you in St. Charles tonight. After waiting years to see you in New Orleans, we had to move to St. Louis to make it happen!

Katherine Kamin said...

I don't know what your two regrets were, but thank you so much for sharing about your interaction when you play songs for your wife. My husband and I go through that every time one of us has a song and it rarely goes very well. It's good to know we're normal!!

josh said...

Andrew, I know this sounds like an annoying fan thing, but I read about how you wrote a sequel to Andrew Osenga's song Kara. Man, if you could just at least tell me what happens in said sequel then I will pray a blessing on you and your family for riches, fatted calves, and dancing maids for a hundred years. Curiosity is going to get me killed one day

Rebekah Mitchell said...

I love Irish folk music. I'm excited to hear the Irish touches on this song!

Cheers,
R.

lyndsay said...

kate rusby rocks my socks off!!